VA Benefits Checklist

Getting Started with Admissions & VA Education Benefits

1. Apply for Admission Online
If you are applying to Coastline's Military Program, select “Military or Corporate Education Programs” from the “Special Programs” box located on the Supplemental Questions page (page 9) of the online application.
Once your application has been accepted you will receive a letter via email with information about your MyCCC account, student e-mail address, registration appointment time, and instructions to login into MyCCC.

For Veterans priority registration, students must present their DD-214 form to the Veteran Certifying Official in the Admissions office (doesn’t apply to Military Programs).
2. Submit Transcripts.
Request all official transcripts from previous colleges, universities, training institutes and the military.
Coastline Community College
Admissions Office
11460 Warner Ave.
Fountain Valley, CA 92807
Note: Student’s in the Military Program please include Attention: Military Services.
3. Start your Paperwork for Veterans Benefits
To be eligible for Veterans Administration (VA) education benefits, you must fall into a category or “Chapter”. Click here for a list of GI Bill® Chapters. In order to claim your benefits you must have an educational objective, “an (a) Associate in Arts or Science Degree, or (b) Certificate Program (c) or Transfer Program.
·Contact the Veterans Resource Center to receive required paperwork.
·Submit a copy of your DD214.
·Submit your Letter of Eligibility.
4. Connect with a Counselor or Military Evaluator.
Coastline General Admissions Students
After you have received your Coastline student ID number you can contact the counseling department to schedule an appointment for an education plan; an education plan is required by the VA before your second term. Call the Counseling Center at (714) 241-6162.
Military Programs Students
If you are in the Military Program, please contact (866) 422-2645 ext. 16495 or
Make sure to submit a copy of your education plan to your Certifying Official.

5. Take Assessment Tests.
Local students can take English and Math placement exams at our Assessment Center; sign up online or call (714) 241-6285 for an appointment. Please have your Coastline student ID number ready when you make your appointment.
Military Program students can take placement exams with a Proctor. Please click here for more information.
If you have successfully completed Math and English (with a "C" or better) at another accredited college, you may not need to take the placement exams - your transcripts may be used for course placement into an English and/or Math course.
6. Register for Classes
Log into your MyCCC account and register for courses listed on your education plan. Remember that you cannot use VA benefits for courses unless they will count towards your degree.
In accordance with SB813, Priority Registration is available to California veterans discharged from active duty within four years of admission to the college. Beginning Spring 2011, veteran's priority registration will be granted for four years, beginning the first term of enrollment within the Coast Community College District (CCC, GWC, OCC). Once your veteran's priority registration exhausts, your registration status will be determined by units completed. In order to receive priority registration, students must present their DD214 to the Admissions Office.
After you have successfully registered, notify your Certifying Official.
7. Pay your fees.
You will need to pay all your fees at the time of registration.
If you’re using Post 9/11 GI Bill® please make sure you’ve provided all your VA paperwork to the Veteran Certifying Official to avoid being dropped from classes for non- payment.
Unit Load to qualify for GI Bill®:



8 week Session

16 week Semester


6 units

12 units

¾ time

4-5 units

9-11 units

½ time

3 units

6-8 units

**For Chapter 33 Post 9/11 basic allowance for housing information and requirements click here.
Things to remember:
·Notify your Certifying Official during EVERY registration period that you wish to receive benefits.
·If at any time you change your degree program or add/drop/withdraw from a course, you MUST notify your Veteran Certifying Official to ensure you won’t have to pay back the VA for overpayment.
·Attendance in enrolled courses is expected at all times.
Click here for a printable version of this checklist.