Using GI Bill ® Benefits

How do I start my GI Bill® Benefits at Coastline Community College?

  • To file for education benefits with the VA, veterans, service members, reservists, and spouses/dependents of a "service connected" disabled or deceased veteran may use the eBenefits website and complete the Veterans On-Line Application (VONAPP) at: Once you have submitted the online application and received a confirmation number, please print a copy of your application. If you previously applied for benefits, provide us with your VA “Certificate of Eligibility” letter instead of a copy of the application.
  • Apply to Coastline at After 48 hours (excluding weekends); you should receive an email containing instructions and a student ID number. Write your ID # here: ____________________________ If English and Math courses have been completed, submit unofficial transcripts to Admissions & Records in the Student Services Center. Should you have any questions about the Admissions process, please contact the Admissions Office at (714) 241-6176 or visit them on-line at:
  • Apply for Financial Aid by completing the “Free Application for Federal Student Aid” (FASFA), to see if you qualify. Do this on the FAFSA website See our Financial Aid Office for more information.
  • Check your residency status. If you are classified as a non-resident for tuition purposes, please see the Admissions and Records Office about what exemptions you may qualify for or you may email
  • Order official transcripts from every college you have ever attended to be sent to Coastline. (Note: you are required by federal law to disclose all other colleges you have attended, and provide official transcripts from those schools).
  • Request an official copy of your military training transcript (Joint Service Transcript). A copy of your transcript order confirmation page will be sufficient for certifying your benefits your first semester.
  • Submit your Discharge Letter (DD214) to the Veterans Resource Center in order to request priority registration, if eligible.
  • Complete an intake appointment with a Counselor to develop an Education Plan. Call the Counseling Department at (714) 241-6162 or email at to schedule an appointment. When contacting the Counseling Department, identify yourself as a Veteran.
  • Complete your VA File by presenting these documents in person to the Veterans Services Center:

VA Certificate of Eligibility

  1. Education Plan signed by the Counselor
  2. Certification Request Form
  3. Veterans Enrollment contract
  4. DD-214 Member 4 copy

Important: If you are using the Post 9-11 GI Bill®, or Chapter 31 Voc Rehab, you don’t need to pay your tuition and fees as they will be paid by the VA. If you’ve enrolled in classes and have not yet completed this checklist, you must show us your eligibility letter or application (with confirmation number) as soon as possible to prevent being dropped for non-payment.